Leatherback Turtle Tours – Las Baulas National Marine Park
Las Baulas National Marine Park
Leatherback Turtles (Las Baulas)
Leatherback Turtle Tours in Playa Grande
Playa Grande, Costa Rica is home to Las Baulas National Marine Park. The Leatherback turtle tour begins with an education presentation from park rangers. After the presentation guests are asked to wait at the ranger station of Las Baulas National Marine Park. When a Leatherback Turtle is spotted ascending the beach your guide will escort you to her location. The best opportunity to see a Leatherback Turtle will be at high tide when the moon is full. Here is what you can expect to witness:
- The Leatherback Turtle slowly makes her way to shore and selects her spot
- She then users her massive flippers to dig out a giant nest in which to lay her eggs
- This nest must meet her satisfaction in size and depth and if it does not she returns back to the ocean
- If she is satisfied with the nest she begins to lay her eggs
- The Leatherback Turtle lays approximately 90 eggs at a time. The turtle eggs look similar to ping pong balls.
- Once again she uses her massive fins to cover the nest and compress the sand
At this point the Leatherback Turtle turns around and descends to the Pacific Ocean, never to return again to her nest again.
Leatherback Turtle season is October 15th – February 15th. The tour desk at Hotel RipJack Inn is happy to arrange the tour for you. You will need your passports to register with Las Baulas National Park. This is an experience you don’t want to miss as it is truly unique to Playa Grande, Costa Rica!